June is Acne Awareness Month, when skincare and medical professionals come together to educate the public about the causes and treatments of acne, remove the stigma and raise awareness about this prevalent skin issue.
Acne can affect everyone.
People can feel embarrassed about it, but acne is a prevalent skin condition affecting millions globally. It’s a normal part of life, especially for teenagers. But it’s also normal to continue or flare up again in adulthood.
Several things can cause acne:
- lifestyle (including smoking)
Other external factors, like our cosmetic products and medications, can also result in acne or breakouts.
Adult acne is more common in women
It’s believed that women might suffer from acne post-adolescence more than men because of the hormonal changes we experience at certain times of the month and across our lives. Specifically, adult women can experience issues with breakouts:
- just before or at the start of their menstrual period
- during and post-pregnancy
- if they have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
How does the sun affect acne symptoms?
Part of Acne Awareness Month is educating people about the myths around acne and how to treat it. A big and, honestly, dangerous one is that sunbathing and going to sunbeds can improve acne. There is no evidence that this is the case. Sun beds and sunbathing are particularly harmful to your skin and can cause damage to your skin cells’ DNA, resulting in skin cancer. It can also result in premature skin ageing, causing lines and wrinkles, loss of elasticity and pigmentation.
If you are using topical creams to treat acne (such as benzoyl peroxide, retinoids, or azelaic acid) or taking medication (certain antibiotic tablets or Roaccutane), your skin will be more sensitive to the sun, burn faster, and be more likely to be damaged by sun exposure. Applying a high-SPF sunscreen like Heliocare, especially facial sunscreen, daily is non-negotiable for people treated for acne or breakouts.
On top of that, spending time in the sun can worsen acne’s effects for a few reasons.
- It can damage the skin’s immune system and cell DNA. This means the skin is more susceptible to sensitivities and breakouts.
- It makes you sweat. Bacteria love a moist environment, and bacteria cause acne: the more bacteria, the more spots.
- It can dry out your skin. Your skin needs moisture to stay healthy. The sun can deplete levels of fatty acids and essential oils which can send your oil (also called sebum) production into overdrive and worsen breakouts. Plus, having dry skin disrupts cell turnover and your body’s natural exfoliation, resulting in more clogged pores which contribute to the development of spots.
- It can make dark spots worse. Acne can leave dark spots on the skin, called post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. They usually fade over time, but getting too much sun can make the marks darker and more challenging to get rid of.
Benefits of using a daily sunscreen like Heliocare
People who experience acne can worry that wearing sunscreen will worsen their skin. Will it be thick or greasy? Will it block pores and create more breakouts?
That’s why it’s essential to choose a high-quality, broad-spectrum sunscreen designed for skin prone to breakouts. It will give you the vital daily sun protection your skin needs without contributing to further breakouts and spots, as you will find many daily sunscreens are non-comedogenic (meaning they won’t block your pores).
Heliocare 360° Oil-Free Gel – RRSP R514-00
Heliocare 360° Oil-Free Gel is an ideal daily sunscreen for people with combination, oily, or spot-prone skin. It is an ultra-light, dry-touch gel that absorbs quickly into the skin, leaving a matte finish.
Like all the topical products in the Heliocare 360° range, the Oil-Free Gel provides the highest levels of protection against the full spectrum of light, including UVA (with PA++++), UVB (with SPF50), visible light and infrared-A. It will also go beyond blocking radiation to improve skin health with the supercharged antioxidant Fernblock®, DNA repair enzymes, and additional antioxidants in green tea extract and vitamins C and E.
Heliocare 360° Oil-Free Gel’s unique formulation also contains sebum-regulating properties – in fact, it has been clinically proven to reduce sebum by 15%.
On top of that, it is:
- and vegan friendly
If you’re struggling with acne, don’t forget to prioritize sun protection in your daily skincare routine. With Heliocare, you can feel confident knowing your skin is safe and protected from harmful UV rays.